baslinux - Re: [BL] Installing bootable BL3 on CDROM

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installing bootable BL3 on CDROM
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:42:53 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Oliver wrote:

> i found the img file.
> But for windows i have only 'NTI-CD Maker 2000 Plus' as burning software.
> Did anybody know how to create the cdrom with this software or a free tool
> (windows or linux) to convert img files to iso files?

I don't think you need to convert it to iso. The way this works is
according to a different method called "Eltorito" which, as I understand
it, makes the computer look at the CD drive as if it were a floppy (a:)
and load stuff from there. I've used Easy CD Creator, but have very
little experience with it--or any other Windows CD burning software. On
my Linux one (xcdroast) there's an option for writing an Eltorito image to
the disk. I'd say look for something in your software that lists
Eltorito. Then select the BL2 img file as the Eltorito image to use.
The way it usually works is that you write this image to the CD to make it
bootable, then you can add other stuff to the remainder of the CD if
desired. That other stuff if optional though. Writing the Eltorito image
to the CD is going to give you a CD that boots into BL2 ramdisk (no gui).
Other programs, modules, etc could be included on the rest of the CD, but
the functionality of these are going to be limited by the ramdisk's
abilities. For example, the ramdisk is a certain size and cannot expand
beyond that, so installing additional programs only works up to a certain
point.

James