baslinux - Re: [BL] Windows networking

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Windows networking
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:54:38 +1300

I've been doing some reading on Windows networking
and it appears that Windows now uses encrypted
passwords by default. This means the BL3 smbclient
will probably give you some sort of authenication
error. One way to remedy this is to turn off encrypted
passwords on the Windows machine. The other way is to
tell smbclient to use encrypted passwords. I am not
absolutely sure how this is done, but I think you put
the following in /etc/smb.conf
-----------------------
[global]
encrypt passwords = yes
-----------------------
The Windows 95 machine on which I have been testing
smbclient doesn't do encrypted passwords, so I haven't
tested this myself. In particular, I am not certain
whether smbclient contains everything required to do
encryption. It might need a helper routine (or two)
from samba. Normally smbclient is installed as part
of the (much bigger) samba suite, so it may naturally
expect some routines to be available (which aren't in
the BL3 package).

Fingers crossed. It might work, it might not. Please
report back here with your successes/failures.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru