baslinux - Re: [BL] Windows networking

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Windows networking
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:06:16 +1300

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> I could use some help from my fellow Windows-users:

Lord knows I'm no Windows expert, but I'll tell you what
little I know.

> my Windows networking of two computers has used only the
> NetBEUI protocol (whatever that is) with my Ethernet card.

AFAIK NetBEUI is equivalent (more or less) to TCP/IP.
SMB runs on top of it. SMB can also run on top of TCP/IP.
Before Windows 95, only NetBEUI was provided. In win95
TCP/IP was provided as an option (with NetBEUI the default).
I suspect TCP/IP became the default on later versions of
Windows.

If your Windows is pre-95, there is no built-in TCP/IP
option (AFAIK). You will need to find an add-on (good luck).
With win95 you can use the included TCP/IP: Start->Settings->
ControlPanel->Network->Add->Protocol->Add->Microsoft->TCP/IP

Once TCP/IP has been installed, click on Properties and then
specify the IP address. Then click on the NetBIOS tab to set
"I want NetBIOS over TCP/IP". Close Properties and click on
File and Printer Sharing. Make sure "I want to give others
access to my files" is set.

> I am guessing that TCP would be involved somehow in the
> Windows <-> Linux thing?

Yes, Linux smbclient needs a TCP/IP connection. I think
TCP/IP is also the norm with current versions of Windows
(but I could be wrong on that one).

> Can someone explain how to make this computer,when running
> MS-Windows,

Which version of Windows? With win95, I could get in without
authenication, so I didn't have to use the username/password
parameters for smbclient. I suspect current versions of
Windows are more secure and will refuse access without proper
authenication. The BL3 smbclient has parameters for various
authenication options. Hopefully, a bit of experimentation
will get you in. Please report back (with details) success
with recent versions of Windows.

BTW, I have seen some reference to encrypted passwords for
SMB. I don't know if Windows currently does this. Nor do
I know whether the BL3 smbclient can do such passwords.
All I can say for sure is that the BL3 smbclient works fine
on win95. Hopefully, other users will report success with
other versions of Windows.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru