baslinux - Re: [BL] Windows networking

  • From: "David Lane" <Jaypooh3 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Windows networking
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:01:16 -0500

The version of Windows here is the key,Win 95 came with a version of dial-up
networking and what was then the standard TCP/IP stack.This version of
TCP/IP is not backwards compatable to the previous supplied for Win 3.1,Win
3.11,Win 3.11 WFW.It can under some conditions communicate with it but
networking over TCP/IP was not widely done in those days.BTW,I have the
version of TCP/IP supplied with the Win 3.X series if someone needs it.
There was an update to dial-up networking to Win 95 that changed the
TCP/IP stack and added Winsock2,a novelty then but common place now.Again,it
was not wholey backwards compatable to the previous version.Winsock2 an yet
another refined version of TCP/IP is the present standard and TCP/IP
networking is now the norm.Netbeui and Novell (IPX) were the previous
standards.
All this is said,to say this;you need to know what your working with,and
sometimes with highly dissimilar OSs you sometimes have to improvise.The
exact version of Windows your using needs to be known and remember
this,Netbeui will network like a champ,but won't surf the net.I network with
Win95OSR2 and Windows XP and use IPX because the two different versions of
TCP/IP refuse to play nice together (at least for me).They both access the
net seperately through a common router.It's a rig but it works.As I
understand it,SAMBA can talk to either TCP/IP as long as the Windows machine
is entered as smb://IP.ADD.RE.SS in the machine running it,but admittedly,my
knowledge of SAMBA is through very recent versions as supplied with MAC OSX
and Redhat 9.0.As they say,the devil is in the details...........lol.Let us
know what version of Windows your planning to run,connection method,so
forth.Somebody will know,or know someone who does.

David Lane