baslinux - Re: [BL] Windows networking

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Windows networking
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 09:23:30 -0500

On 23 Nov 2004 at 16:08, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> I wonder if the encrypt passwords line in smb.conf
> is really necessary. What happens if you delete it?

At first I thought that meant delete smb.conf , which I did by renaming
it.

Still works fine, just says it can't find smb.conf , but goes ahead an
connects and so forth.

Now I made a new /etc/smb.conf with only a newline in it.

smbclient -L asus works fine

I made a file in /usr/local/bin called bu (as in backup)

--------------
cd /root
smbclient \\\\asus\\E password < /root/bcparms
ls -l bcpdata.zip
--------------

Here's /root/bcparms

--------------
ls bcpdata.zip
get bcpdata.zip
--------------

The idea was to make a backup on the other computer of a zipped backup
of data regarding the Bicycle Club of Philadelphia.

So when I say on the BL3.32 other computer

. bu

smbclient connects to the Win98 asus computer
shows the directory listing for E:\bcpdata.zip
gets it
exits

And ls shows the directory listing for /root/bcpdata.zip

I hope to learn how to use smb.conf , so as to do things better.

Thanks again,

Sheldon