baslinux - Re: [BL] X screwing up all the time

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] X screwing up all the time
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:03:28 +1300

Joel Adria wrote:

> I have BL3 installed to the hd. When I start X,
> it gives me 3 "Unknown error"

I think you can ignore those. I get them on one of
my machines too (without ill effect).

> but only shows me the "X" type cursor, and the crappy standard
> background (grey and dotty). Then it does nothing.

That's the default X screen (the one you get when you
startx without a window manager). Have a look in
/root/.xinitrc and make sure that it starts a window
manager (eg swm or icewm) and that all other processes
are started with a & at the end.

> Once I return to the term, it shows the rest which says
> "Cannot to connect to server" xnet...something.

Probably nothing to worry about. I assume you exited X
by pressing CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE or CTRL-ALT-DEL. That
breaks the connection and gives you a "connection to X
server lost" message.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru