baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:35:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Ian Scott wrote:

Is there something I need to do to let user do things like write to a file
in /home/user with pico? I had to chmod Xvesa and SVGAlib (I think) so
user could use those. User is rather crippled.

Your best way to do this is probably to make everything under /home/user be
owned by user:

chown -R user /home/user

Do you know why BL was not set up that way to start with?

Because BL is single user. How did you set up your user?
I would guess that either:
a) There is a bug in the way you set him up
b) He was created specifically as a user with low priveliges (e.g. for online
work).
Obviously, if you go to the trouble of creating a user to use when online, you
want him to have very low priveleges so that if anyone else gets access to
your
machine, they do so as that user, who can't do any damage.

I think 'user' came with BL (BL2 in this case). Probably it would make sense to let user at least write to files in /home/user in order to be able to download from the web. Or if nothing else to a subdirectory in /home/user such as /download. I guess I could switch terminals to do anything else.