baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:10:24 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > /root/netsetup has a template for networking via serial cable.
>
> Just tried it again BL3 to BL2. Won't telnet or even ping.

Probably user error.

> pppd /dev/tthS0 115200 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.2 local crtscts

You've got at least one typographical error there.

> registered device ppp0

So far so good.

> reversed the numbers on the other computer.

Details please. You might find it easier if you use clark/
lois (as suggested) rather than the full numeric addresses.

Did you get the "registered device" message?

> ping 192.168.1.2 56 data bytes - nothing happens, I hit Ctrl-C
> and 100% packet loss

Once again, you are less likely to make a mistake if
you do "ping lois" instead of the numeric address.

> telnet won't work either (with in.telnetd -debug on target computer)

If ping doesn't work, telnet will definitely not work.
Ping tells you whether you have a route to the distination.
Without that route, neither telnet nor any other TCP/IP
service will work.

> The website said I needed to make a file /etc/ppp/options
> with things like local and crtscts in it.

That's unnecessary. Using local/crtscts as parameters has
exactly the same effect.

> Do I need some other sort of packet driver besides ppp?

No.

> Another sort of program?

No. BasicLinux already contains everything you need.
You just have to configure it correctly.

BTW, is your ethernet network still up on one or both of
your systems? If so, you can't use the same addresses
for your ppp network.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru