baslinux - Re: [BL] Realplayer8 segmentation faults

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Realplayer8 segmentation faults
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:01:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, James Miller wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

I cannot install RP8 for linux on any of our computers except the AMD-K6
475MHz. Ron says his 400MHz also works. My 300MHz AMD-K6 does not.
Segmentation fault while trying to install.

Is more RAM likely to make a difference here? Or a swap file? (Yes I
should be scolded for not having one, but I used the swap partition for
BL3 and will have to look up how to make a swap file within BL2.)

You lost the bet. I made a swap file of 160MB (I thought I had posted this info but it seems to have gone astray) and RP still exits with segmentation fault. The remaining experiment would be to move the hard drive to the faster computer and see what RP does in that situation.

Instead, I signed up so I could post at the current realplayer for linux forum at Helixcommunity. Realplayer 10 is based on Helixplayer, which also does OGG. I asked if there was a minimum speed requirement for it, or for RP8 for linux. RP8 works fine at 133MHz with 32M RAM in Win98.

I place my bet as follows: create a 128MB swap file (you could make it
less, but the usual recommendation is twice physical RAM size - certainly
no less than physical RAM size though), then run RP8 on that same machine
and it won't crash. You could also stick an extra RAM chip in and get the
same results. Based on previous problems you've had of this sort and
posted about, I'm putting my money on your machine running out of
physical/virtual RAM as being the culprit. That said, the foregoing is
just my speculation.

How much money did you place on this bet ;=)

Want to bet on my chances of successfully compiling Helixplayer to work on BL2 with glibc from SW8.1?

James