baslinux - Re: [BL] Realplayer8 segmentation faults

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Realplayer8 segmentation faults
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:06:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, James Miller wrote:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

Is there some way I can figure out just what is causing the segmentation
fault? Some sort of register dump?

Under Debian I use strace: type "strace app-name" in a terminal and it
outputs all the program code to the terminal window as it starts. You can
see the last thing that happened before the segfault. Don't know
how/where about this program for Slackware. I think it can take alot of
cpu cycles and memory, depending on the app.

/slakware/d1/strace.tgz - 105 K executable and I cannot figure out how to use it because manpages are written in a language that I can't understand.
Documentation (doc files) are about installation, not use.

strace realplay lists it all on the screen and I can scroll back a few screens but there are lots of them. How do I save to a file?
I tried -o filename and --f -o filename.

Thanks, James, and I hope strace solves this problem.

I was wondering if I did not install all the necessary files.

There were complaints about locale files missing and also icon files in root/icon and /usr/X11R6/include/X11/icons. A search in MANIFEST.gz did not find /root/icon or /X11/icon. I would have suspected that I am missing something in xlib or xbin packages but I installed them on one computer and realplay still exited on that computer with segmentation fault. The realplay window appears just before it exits.

I have deleted anything to do with locale on all our computers and realplay still installed and runs on one of them (the 475MHz).

Maybe I will set up a test computer with ALL of the complete packages for X, including locales, and Xvga (16-color) - realplayer installed in 16 colors with complaints on the one computer where it works. If I get a seg fault, then move the hard drive to the faster computer and try again. If it works, then delete one file at a time to see what is actually needed.

RP10 needs 350MHz so I am stuck with RP8. RP7 is not available for download, which means you need a 120MHz pentium at the minimum for RP.
Some people wrote in that RP7 worked for them and RP8 crashed.