baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:03:44 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> Can I call the font directory something that Xvesa is not
> already using or does it have to be '75dpi'?

It can be any directory that Xvesa looks in. I'm sure Xvesa
looks in misc, 75dpi and 100dpi. Whether it looks in other
directories, I don't know.

> Do I need 75dpi fonts for Xvesa?

No. You don't need any fonts for Xvesa.

> I don't understand how this all works.

Applications need the fonts. Some refuse to run if the
desired font is not there. The most important fonts are
in misc.

> It sounds like Xvesa could use more work in order to be
> usable with other programs.
> For instant a switch when starting Xvesa to look for fonts
> elsewhere?

There is a parameter listed (-fp) for specifying a font
path, but I don't know if it works.

> Can I move the fonts from 75dpi to misc and then point
> 75dpi at Abiword?

Perhaps. But you would need to record the new fonts in
fonts.dir and fonts.alias.

> The fonts seem to be in different places in BL2 and BL3.

That will change in the new BL3. xinit was unhappy about
the old location.

> Are you expecting people to be running additional Xvesa
> programs in the floppy version?

Why not? There is room in the ramdisk for a small add-on
(like a game). Moreover, some users will be installing
to HD from the floppy version. The new HD installation
will have the same startx that was on the floppy.

> Links2 does more than an old Netscape anyway.

Really? Netscape 3.04 does https, javascript, news, mail
and a whole bunch of other stuff.

> What is the advantage of dillo+GTK over links2?

dillo is significantly faster than links2. It really flies.

> Is the combination still much smaller?

dillo + GTK is about the same size as links2; however, the
GTK stuff is useable by other applications (so it provides
more overall utility for the space used).

> If you got all of this working in BL3, would it be possible
> to then simply upgrade the library and boot with BL2 kernel
> to run programs that need later kernel

BL2 and BL3 use the same kernel (although there are some
differences in the config).