baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 02:50:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I installed fonts from the regular SW71 packages and have
a font directory with four subdirectories. Where would
I point Abiword?

You don't point AbiWord at the font directory. You point
the font directory at AbiWord.

ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/75dpi /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts ?

ln -s /usr/local/AbiSuit/fonts 75dpi (or whatever)

However, in order to do that, you have to sacrifice the contents
of that directory (the link won't take until you have deleted
the directory).

I found the fonts directory for Abiword. (Also about 350K clipart, 300K icons, 763K French help files, 2M dictionary - can I delete these and still view WORD files with Abiword?).

Can I call the font directory something that Xvesa is not already using or does it have to be '75dpi'? Do I need 75dpi fonts for Xvesa? I don't understand how this all works.

Or are you saying AbiWord comes with its own fonts,

Yes. AbiWord only works with its own fonts (and they must
be registered by Xvesa). If you were using an ordinary
Xserver, you could simply add the path to the AbiWord fonts
in /etc/XF86Config. But Xvesa is hardwired to look for fonts
only in certain directories, and that is that.

It sounds like Xvesa could use more work in order to be usable with other programs. Would they accept suggestions from you? For instant a switch when starting Xvesa to look for fonts elsewhere? It seems to look in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts or some such thing.

in which case what do I do to fix the font problem in Bl2?

Pick a directory that Xvesa looks in, and link that to the
AbiWord font directory.
But then you say I would lose the fonts in that directory. How do I know where Xvesa already looks? Can I move the fonts from 75dpi to misc and then point 75dpi at Abiword?

Would the new BL3 Abiword package work in BL2?

I don't know. It depends on how specific I have to be
in the installation script to get it to work on BL3.

The fonts seem to be in different places in BL2 and BL3. I put them in /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts in Bl2 and then made a symlink so Xvesa could find them (linked to /var/X11R6/lib/fonts).

Do you want to post a preliminary version in case other
people are interested in testing it?

First will be the DOS version. It is *much* more
complicated doing the floppy version, so I'll wait
to hear if there are any problems with the DOS version
before updating the floppy version.

Are you expecting people to be running additional Xvesa programs in the floppy version? Is there really a need to update that version so that more things work with Xvesa?

Netscape had lots of problems in BL2 with Xvesa. It seemed
to be insisting on Xfree86. Or at least it told you to run
some program in Xfree ver. 4 to fix some other problem.

Yes, I got a similar message when I tried running Netscape
on BL1 with Xvesa. It may be that Xvesa and Netscape are
incompatible.
And you cannot rewrite the source code, of course.

Links2 does more than an old Netscape anyway.

It was about 16MB for SW71 but probably older and smaller
for SW35.

Netscape 3.04 is around 5mb.

Would installing dillo require also installing GTK

Yes. There will be a GTK package for that.

What is the advantage of dillo+GTK over links2? Is the combination still much smaller? I have not tried dillo.

What other programs are you considering that require GTK

Sylpheed and a database (can't remember the name at the moment).

Database manager? Sounds great! I am still using a small DOS one with some bugs and limitations.

If you got all of this working in BL3, would it be possible to then simply upgrade the library and boot with BL2 kernel to run programs that need later kernel and glibc2.2.5 (Opera for instance), and still have Abiword and other programs working in BL2 (I think you said it is statically compiled). Can you add just the runtime (so) libc6 and also keep libc5 for older programs including programs needed for compiling? I was unable to mix two versions of libc6 that way, but maybe libc6 would not mess up libc5. I notice that you can keep kernel source code in different directories that way. Would a library upgrade overwrite libc5?

(I guess I could look at the install script to figure this out).

The lynx I compiled won't work with BL1 but maybe it would work on a hybrid system as above.