baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:57:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I think you said the same compiled version works for
BL2 and BL3.

It works with BL1 or BL2 or BL3. However, I will be
repackaging it for BL3 to make it smaller (by removing
excess fonts and locale files).

I have downloaded it for BL2 (where it did not work for
me with Xvesa - locale problems or font path problems -
any idea if I can fix this?)

The locale problem is not fatal, just ignore it. But the font
problem is a show-stopper. Xvesa doesn't find the abiword fonts
(and abiword won't work until its fonts are there). I fixed the
problem by creating a symbolic link from a font directory (one
of the ones Xvesa does find) to /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts. The
new abiword package for BL3 will create this link automatically.

I installed fonts from the regular SW71 packages and have a font directory with four subdirectories. Where would I point Abiword? 75dpi? Misc?
ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/75dpi /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts ?

Or are you saying AbiWord comes with its own fonts, in which case what do I do to fix the font problem in Bl2? I can't point BL2 fonts at AbiSuite fonts because I already have a fonts directory there.

What is the purpose of 100dpi fonts? Do I need both 75dpi and 100dpi if I use various screen resolutions?

Would the new BL3 Abiword package work in BL2?

would it be enough simply to mount the BL2 partition, go to its
/usr/X11R6/bin and type ./abiword?

If you run it from a mounted partition, some of the paths will
be wrong. That can be fixed with symbolic links.

Easier just to install it in the new BL3.

Of course first I would need to install the new improved BL3.
Is it ready to post yet

It seems to be working fine (including the other improvements
I've accumulated), but I'd like to test it for the next week
or so. In particular, I'd like to see if GTK 1.2.10 will
work on it (which would give us access to dillo, sylpheed,
and other interesting applications).

Do you want to post a preliminary version in case other people are interested in testing it?

do you want to also try Netscape

Yes, I'd like to see if Netscape 3.04 will work, but it has
a lot of dependencies that are not in BL3. The sourcecode
for Netscape 3.04 is not avaialable, so there's no way to
avoid (or reduce) the dependencies.

Netscape had lots of problems in BL2 with Xvesa. It seemed to be insisting on Xfree86. Or at least it told you to run some program in Xfree ver. 4 to fix some other problem. Good luck. Is the linux Netscape available only with email included? It was about 16MB for SW71 but probably older and smaller for SW35.

I'll probably try dillo first (but first I have to compile GTK).
Would installing dillo require also installing GTK or will it be statically compiled to include GTK? What other programs are you considering that require GTK and how big is it?

What advantage does dillo have over links2 - size? Even with GTK?

Regarding size of the new BL3 - can you include in the package instructions on how to change the loop file size? Maybe even a script to do this? Then you could package it for 10MB and let the user enlarge it. There are old 386s around with small hard drives. Mine has 30MB (but it also has only 3MB RAM - sufficient only for console mode). Is anyone in this list actually still using a 386 laptop for linux? We have been given working 486 and older 586 laptops wtih 12MB or more RAM. Is anyone running linux on less RAM than that?