baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:21:54 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> I think you said the same compiled version works for
> BL2 and BL3.

It works with BL1 or BL2 or BL3. However, I will be
repackaging it for BL3 to make it smaller (by removing
excess fonts and locale files).

> I have downloaded it for BL2 (where it did not work for
> me with Xvesa - locale problems or font path problems -
> any idea if I can fix this?)

The locale problem is not fatal, just ignore it. But the font
problem is a show-stopper. Xvesa doesn't find the abiword fonts
(and abiword won't work until its fonts are there). I fixed the
problem by creating a symbolic link from a font directory (one
of the ones Xvesa does find) to /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts. The
new abiword package for BL3 will create this link automatically.

> would it be enough simply to mount the BL2 partition, go to its
> /usr/X11R6/bin and type ./abiword?

If you run it from a mounted partition, some of the paths will
be wrong. That can be fixed with symbolic links.

> Of course first I would need to install the new improved BL3.
> Is it ready to post yet

It seems to be working fine (including the other improvements
I've accumulated), but I'd like to test it for the next week
or so. In particular, I'd like to see if GTK 1.2.10 will
work on it (which would give us access to dillo, sylpheed,
and other interesting applications).

> do you want to also try Netscape

Yes, I'd like to see if Netscape 3.04 will work, but it has
a lot of dependencies that are not in BL3. The sourcecode
for Netscape 3.04 is not avaialable, so there's no way to
avoid (or reduce) the dependencies.

I'll probably try dillo first (but first I have to compile GTK).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru