baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:08:45 +0000

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:19:19AM +1000, Ron Clarke wrote:
> Hi Sindi,

> > > opl3 is a sound chip used in a number of sound cards, including
> > > AdLib, SBxx etc.
> >
> > I don't have these cards - are they all 'new' (post 1995)?
>
> No. AdLib pre-dates SoundBlaster, 3 voices. And for SBxx read: SB16,
> SB-Pro, SB-anything.

> > > Yes, it is also used in playing MIDI files.
> > I hope that regular SB16 cards don't also need opl3.
>
> the opl3 chip is part of such soundcards as SB16, Vibra16.
I will insmod it after sb then and maybe it will let me play wav sounds
without the audio size buffer error message.

I could not find any info about opl3 on the web except for drivers.
opl3-faq with lynx gave me a blank page with no source code.

> > That is what I meant, it is hard to use in BL2. But easy in DOS, so I
> > would like to keep my SB16 cards in the computers. Can I have a second
> > sound card in the same computer for linux?
>
> I would guess so, but only one could be active at any one time.
> e.g. I have a sound chip on my mother board, but I prefer to use the SB16,
> partly because there is no DOS or Win3.1 drivers for the M/B chip, but
> mostly because it sounds pretty awfull.

Several people attempted to do this and you can load both sets of drivers
and apparently have them both work. I just wanted to use the ESS card in
linux and the SB16 card in DOS, unless I can get SB working in linux.

Cards which I have and for which SW71 has modules are:
sb (many) - uses sb.o and for AWE32/64 also awe_32_synth.o, which SW71
does NOT have. Is this for FM synthesis of midi sounds?

opti - 929, 930, 931 - mad16.o

ESS - 1938s solo 1 - esssolo1.o PCI

ESS 1868F and 1869F - said to be SB16 clones and might work with sb.o
Audio Drive

Trident 4D-wave - trident.o PCI

Creative Audio PCI 5200 possibly based on Ensoniq ES1371 - es1371.o
PCI

I have a test BL2 setup and will eventually try these out there and report
what works for me.

I just discovered I have 30 sound cards plus the 10 or so in computers!
Recycled the 8-bit and nonworking cards. AcerMagic, Avance, Aztech,
Crystal, Orchid, Yamaha (very old one), Audio Excel (?? - made in China).
Avance ALS100 is an sb clone - does it use sb.o? It does 48K sampling.

There were instructions to configure things with isapnptools but I don't
need to change settings, just diagnose them with a DOS program if I use
SB16 diagnose.exe. Have you had to configure any cards?

If anyone wants a particular card from the above list let me know.
We recycled 50 computers for someone once.