baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:19:19 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:54:19 +0000
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > > What is opl3?
> >
> > opl3 is a sound chip used in a number of sound cards, including AdLib,
> > SBxx etc.
>
> I don't have these cards - are they all 'new' (post 1995)?

No. AdLib pre-dates SoundBlaster, 3 voices. And for SBxx read: SB16,
SB-Pro, SB-anything.

> > > Do I need that to make sb work? I might try it, but it
> > > looks like something to do with midi.
> >
> > Yes, it is also used in playing MIDI files.
> I hope that regular SB16 cards don't also need opl3.

the opl3 chip is part of such soundcards as SB16, Vibra16.

> That is what I meant, it is hard to use in BL2. But easy in DOS, so I
> would like to keep my SB16 cards in the computers. Can I have a second
> sound card in the same computer for linux?

I would guess so, but only one could be active at any one time.
e.g. I have a sound chip on my mother board, but I prefer to use the SB16,
partly because there is no DOS or Win3.1 drivers for the M/B chip, but
mostly because it sounds pretty awfull.

Regards,
Ron

--