baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: halinux AT kvinet.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:57:59 +0000

> > Anyone know what module is used by Vibra16 cards?

> From: /usr/src/linux-2.4.20/Documentation/sound/VIBRA16
>
> Sound Blaster 16X Vibra addendum
> --------------------------------
> by Marius Ilioaea <mariusi AT protv.ro>
> Stefan Laudat <stefan AT asit.ro>
>
> Sat Mar 6 23:55:27 EET 1999
>
> Hello again,
>
> Playing with a SB Vibra 16x soundcard we found it very difficult
> to setup because the kernel reported a lot of DMA errors and wouldn't
> simply play any sound.
> A good starting point is that the vibra16x chip full-duplex facility
> is neither still exploited by the sb driver found in the linux kernel
> (tried it with a 2.2.2-ac7), nor in the commercial OSS package (it reports
> it as half-duplex soundcard). Oh, I almost forgot, the RedHat sndconfig
> failed detecting it ;)
> So, the big problem still remains, because the sb module wants a
> 8-bit and a 16-bit dma, which we could not allocate for vibra... it supports
> only two 8-bit dma channels, the second one will be passed to the module
> as a 16 bit channel, the kernel will yield about that but everything will
> be okay, trust us.

sb module only needed to specify dma=0 or dma=1. What is this all about
anyway? One channel for recording?

> The only inconvenient you may find is that you will have
> some sound playing jitters if you have HDD dma support enabled - but this
> will happen with almost all soundcards...
>
> A fully working isapnp.conf is just here:
>
> <snip here>
>
> (READPORT 0x0203)
> (ISOLATE PRESERVE)
> (IDENTIFY *)
> (VERBOSITY 2)
> (CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING
> # SB 16 and OPL3 devices
> (CONFIGURE CTL00f0/-1 (LD 0
> (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
> (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
> (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 3))
> (IO 0 (SIZE 16) (BASE 0x0220))
> (IO 2 (SIZE 4) (BASE 0x0388))
> (NAME "CTL00f0/-1[0]{Audio }")
> (ACT Y)
> ))

I am NOT going to recompile my kernel to play sounds. I got one ESS card
working without all this. I am way over my head already.

> # Joystick device - only if you need it :-/
>
> (CONFIGURE CTL00f0/-1 (LD 1
> (IO 0 (SIZE 1) (BASE 0x0200))
> (NAME "CTL00f0/-1[1]{Game }")
> (ACT Y)
> ))
> (WAITFORKEY)
>
> <end of snipping>
>
> So, after a good kernel modules compilation and a 'depmod -a
> kernel_ver'
> you may want to:
>
> modprobe sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3
>
> Or, take the hard way:
>
> insmod souncore d missing here
> insmod sound
no soundlow? no v_midi?

> insmod uart401
> insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3
> # do you need MIDI?
> insmod opl3=0x388

What is opl3? Do I need that to make sb work? I might try it, but it
looks like something to do with midi.

Thanks for the above and I think I understand why Ron avoided Vibra16.

> Just in case, the kernel sound support should be:
>
> CONFIG_SOUND=m
> CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
> CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m
>
> Enjoy your new noisy Linux box! ;)
>
> Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 9.0 (2.4.20-1)
> .

sindi keesan