baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:11:30 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:49:37 +0000
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > > Some day. I think you said they were quite large.
> >
> > Yep. I collected the 23 MB set.
>
> I was hoping the 11M of RP would play midis but no such luck, just wavs.

Remember, MIDIs are just lists of instructions to the sound cards.
They have no "embedded" sounds in the file. These instructions tell the sound
card which MIDI patch (instrument voice) to play, at what frequence/volume
and for how long.

> Is there something smaller to play with that does not use sound patches
> just FM synthesis for midis?

You would need to look at a MIDI device or a daughter board attached to a
sound card to play MIDIs without suitable patches.

> > Bothe xine and mplayer wil play Windows Media files.
> >
> Which is smaller and did anyone compile for glibc 2.2.5?
> I found mplayer for SW9 and 10 but nothing earlier at linuxpackages and
> did not find it on the SW71 CD - is there a SW71 version around?

No, I really looked.

> Why do you need to download a blasted movie player in order to listen to
> online radio???

You don't.

> Have you tried using Realaudio with links2 instead of Netscape or Opera?

I get RealPlayer to be called from Links graphical when running under X.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke