baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:20:04 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:25:33 +0000
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> I gave up a few months ago trying to get sound to work on a rather old
> Sb16 card with IRQ choices 10-14 and have set up a new computer with a
> newer card that the DOS diagnostics program identified as io 220, irq 5,
> dma 1.
>
> I copied to /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc:
>
> soundcore.o
> soundlow.o
> sound.o
> v_midi.o
> uart401.o
> sb.o
>
> I copied to the bl2 boot directory in DOS the bZimage from SW7.1 bare.i
> (718K), renamed it zimage-i, and made a booti.bat to point to that
> zimage-i instead of the BL2 zimage. Booted with this kernel.
>
> Did insmod of all the above.

I have that insmod sequence in an executable script in /usr/local/bin
called "sound-on".
It is a lot easier to remember than all those insmods.

> I found workbone.tgz, 10K, and installed it.

Well done ! :)

> I will hunt up a wav player (sox?)

Try mpg123.

> and midi player (timidity?)

Yes, but you will also need the sound patches.

> but what I am really after is realaudio and mplayer so I can listen to
> online radio.

The RealPlayer works with the two extra libraries from SW8.1, and X.

Mplayer needs much more extra libraries. I haven't even tried it yet.
I found xine works though, with the two libraries from SW9.1 !!!

> I tried to install the large rp8*.bin file by typing rp8* and it
> complained about the screen. I tried to switch from MDA to VGA screen and
> got four MDA terminals. I rebooted with the VGA monitor turned on this
> time and could switch to VGA and loaded Xvesa and rxvt and typed rp8*
> and it tried to install, gave me three pages of Warning:
> Translation_table syntaxerror:, Unknown keysym name: osfDown and much
> more of the same, followed by a final 'Segmentation fault'.
>
> I got segmentation faults before, but not all of this other stuff, when
> trying to install to a computer with hybrid glibc. I got a few warnings
> when trying to install to a computer with pure glibc 2.2.6, and with X set
> up with only a few colors, but it did install. I suspect Realaudio is not
> designed to work with Xvesa.

I think you are right. :(

> I wish a program for playing sounds were not so fussy about visual
> appearances. Has anyone managed to write a console version of Realaudio
> that works with links? Or even mplayer?

Mplayer is ALL graphical, and so is RealPlayer, so don't hold your breath.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke