baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 03:02:51 +0000

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 09:20:04AM +1000, Ron Clarke wrote:
> Hi Sindi,
>
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 03:25:33 +0000
> sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
>
> > I gave up a few months ago trying to get sound to work on a rather old
> > Sb16 card with IRQ choices 10-14 and have set up a new computer with a
> > newer card that the DOS diagnostics program identified as io 220, irq 5,
> > dma 1.
> >
> > I copied to /lib/modules/2.2.16/misc:
> >
> > soundcore.o
> > soundlow.o
> > sound.o
> > v_midi.o
> > uart401.o
> > sb.o
> >
> > I copied to the bl2 boot directory in DOS the bZimage from SW7.1 bare.i
> > (718K), renamed it zimage-i, and made a booti.bat to point to that
> > zimage-i instead of the BL2 zimage. Booted with this kernel.
> >
> > Did insmod of all the above.
>
> I have that insmod sequence in an executable script in /usr/local/bin
> called "sound-on".
> It is a lot easier to remember than all those insmods.

I also wrote a script for the above but it installed the first two modules
and refused to install sound.o, just gave me lots of error messages. I
had a similar problem trying to do plip with a script. I think someone
said to incorporate pauses. What exactly does your sound-on look like?

> > I found workbone.tgz, 10K, and installed it.
>
> Well done ! :)
>

> > I will hunt up a wav player (sox?)
>
> Try mpg123.

I would not have guessed that it plays wavs. (Nor that the cd player
would be called workbone and not cdplay or cdplayer or cdplyr as in DOS).

> > and midi player (timidity?)
>
> Yes, but you will also need the sound patches.
Some day. I think you said they were quite large.

> > but what I am really after is realaudio and mplayer so I can listen to
> > online radio.
>
> The RealPlayer works with the two extra libraries from SW8.1, and X.
I have glibc-so-2.2.5 which Opera also needed. What is the other library
that it needs?

> Mplayer needs much more extra libraries. I haven't even tried it yet.
> I found xine works though, with the two libraries from SW9.1 !!!
Supposedly it also does movies. Is there any linux program that just
plays Windows Media sound files?

> > I tried to install the large rp8*.bin file by typing rp8* and it
> > and it tried to install, gave me three pages of Warning:
> > Translation_table syntaxerror:, Unknown keysym name: osfDown and much
> > more of the same, followed by a final 'Segmentation fault'.

I suspect Realaudio is not designed to work with Xvesa.

> I think you are right. :(

Does it also try to play movies?

> > I wish a program for playing sounds were not so fussy about visual
> > appearances. Has anyone managed to write a console version of Realaudio
> > that works with links? Or even mplayer?
>
> Mplayer is ALL graphical, and so is RealPlayer, so don't hold your
> breath.

I suppose I should learn to write my own console version of Realplayer
then. After getting everything else in linux to work perfectly.