baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 00:54:19 +0000

> > What is opl3?
>
> opl3 is a sound chip used in a number of sound cards, including AdLib,
> SBxx etc.

I don't have these cards - are they all 'new' (post 1995)?

> > Do I need that to make sb work? I might try it, but it
> > looks like something to do with midi.
>
> Yes, it is also used in playing MIDI files.
I hope that regular SB16 cards don't also need opl3.

> > Thanks for the above and I think I understand why Ron avoided Vibra16.
>
> I don't avoid the Vibra16. It is installed in my second machine. It
> runs fine in
> DOS using the SB16 drivers. My installation of Peanut Linux (RedHat based)
> was able
> to configure it automatically. But I have not yet been able to configure
> it under BL2.

That is what I meant, it is hard to use in BL2. But easy in DOS, so I
would like to keep my SB16 cards in the computers. Can I have a second
sound card in the same computer for linux? I don't think I have an ess
solo DOS package. I think ess solo might work with my pci ESS cards