baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 02:58:14 +0000

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 11:11:30AM +1000, Ron Clarke wrote:
> Hi Sindi,

> > > Yep. I collected the 23 MB set.
> >
> > I was hoping the 11M of RP would play midis but no such luck, just wavs.
>
> Remember, MIDIs are just lists of instructions to the sound cards.
> They have no "embedded" sounds in the file. These instructions tell the
> sound card which MIDI patch (instrument voice) to play, at what
> frequence/volume and for how long.

In DOS I can play midis without wave table or patches, that sound like a
kazoo. Is there something similar for linux? Two of my cards sound better
and have 2M RAM into which wave tables are loaded.

> > Is there something smaller to play with that does not use sound patches
> > just FM synthesis for midis?
>
> You would need to look at a MIDI device or a daughter board attached to
> sound card to play MIDIs without suitable patches.
Probably the daughter board plus in where it says 'wave table' on the
card.

> > > Bothe xine and mplayer wil play Windows Media files.
> > >
> > Which is smaller and did anyone compile for glibc 2.2.5?
> > I found mplayer for SW9 and 10 but nothing earlier at linuxpackages and
> > did not find it on the SW71 CD - is there a SW71 version around?
>
> No, I really looked.
>
> > Why do you need to download a blasted movie player in order to listen to
> > online radio???
>
> You don't.
Most of the online radio stations call for Windows Media Player now and
you say mplayer is the linux equivalent and it also plays movies. I would
like to see a version that plays only internet radio files.

> > Have you tried using Realaudio with links2 instead of Netscape or Opera?
>
> I get RealPlayer to be called from Links graphical when running under X.

Please explain exactly how you set this up in Setup - associations and
file extensions, I presume. Thanks. It took me two hours of
experimenting to get it working with Opera. audio/x-pn something or
other? ram,rm,rmm,rpm as file extensions?