baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 uncorrectable error means just that

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 uncorrectable error means just that
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 03:52:46 +0000

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 08:49:12PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> I reported earlier on crashing BL2 by running bmv (SVGAlib program)
> without first specifying chipset VESA (needed for Tseng and Trident but
> not S3) in the config file. I ran e2fsck on it from BL3 loop and was told
> it was okay after a few runs but it still had lots of problems and
> uncorrectable errors.
>
> So I tried to reformat with fdisk from Bl3 on hda but I could not figure
> out how to use it with hdb so switched to PQMagic. Told it format hdb2
> and it got to 24%, slowed to a crawl, slowed even more, and stuck at 31%
> and I could not cancel. Rebooted, and was told 'failed primary slave hard
> disk' which is similar to uncorrectable error. We will put in a different
> hard drive. Maybe the crash damaged the hard drive? And being unable to
> exit PQMagic made it worse? There was only BL2 on the disk and I have an
> exact copy on the other computer to send there via ethernet.

I did some reading online about 'hard disk fail' and we were going to
listen for whether the disk was spinning but this time the computer
recognized it, and not only that PQMagic has successfully formatted it all
at a reasonable speed.

Someone else had a hard drive that was intermittently recognized and was
told it was going bad. I won't be surprised if this one fails more often.
This problem is apparently unrelated to the superblock problem caused by a
software crash when trying to run an SVGAlib program with the wrong
setting. What is a superblock? Something like a FAT table?

If anyone is using the lynx I compiled, get an updated cert.zip file from
www.rahul.net/~dkaufman and unzip it and replace the old cert.pem (which
you should have gunzipped from cert.pem.gz). This is of course larger
than the older one.