baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 02:00:25 +0000

> > > but what I am really after is realaudio and mplayer so I can listen to
> > > online radio.
> >
> > The RealPlayer works with the two extra libraries from SW8.1, and X.
> I have glibc-so-2.2.5 which Opera also needed. What is the other library
> that it needs?

Does it need the cxx library as well?

> > > I tried to install the large rp8*.bin file by typing rp8* and it
> > > and it tried to install, gave me three pages of Warning:
> > > Translation_table syntaxerror:, Unknown keysym name: osfDown and
> > > much
> > > more of the same, followed by a final 'Segmentation fault'.
I fixed this problem by copying over XKeySymDB from xlib.tgz. I do not
have X installed, just the minimum files needed to make Xvesa work.

Now when I try to install realplayer8 it says it cannot find libXp.so.6 .
It is in /usr/X11R6/bin where I copied libXp.so.6.2 (from xbin.tgz) and
made a link from libXp.so.6 (ln -s libXp.so.6.2 libXp.so.6 as in the
doinstall.sh script). This file and this link have the same md5sum
as on a computer where RP8 would install (which has the complete xbin and
xlib installed). ldd rp8* also informs me that I am missing libXp.so.6

What the heck is going on? A web search gave no clues.
Perhaps RP wants a later version of libXp? But why can't ldd find libXp
when it is there?

Would it possibly help to install the complete xbin (and then remove
irrelevant parts, of which there are many, one at a time)?

I note that there is also a libXp.6.2.a or some such thing which I did
NOT copy over - but I think that is used for statically compiling
programs. I was trying to compile an X program on that computer and must
have installed the relevant package for compiling in X.

I also tried this on a second computer with the same results. Same linux
setup (I copied over the same files to all my linux computers).

The second computer is the one where I tried to use SVGAlib without
specifying chipset VESA and it crashed while trying to use bmv with
'uncorrectable error'. Running e2fsck from BL3 loop claimed it was clean
but I still get lots of error messages when I boot BL2 and will probably
have to reinstall. Superblock problems.
EXT2-fs error .... wrong free blocks count in super block, stored =
512049, counted = 503456. ....
error=0x40 UncorrectableError LBAsect.......

Linux can be frustrating. Time to install sound on the computer where
realaudio claims to have installed itself properly.