baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-21fd.zip download problem

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-21fd.zip download problem
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:47:56 +0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> First time I unzipped (pkunzip -d)

The -d parameter is not necessary.

> and the .img file was bad - pkzip said something about CRC.
> Second time I downloaded the file (on a different computer
> this time, where I had downloaded the DOS version which
> worked) 'error in ZIP' use pkzipfix.

Once again you are having problems unzipping. You have to
wonder whether there is something wrong with your unzipper
(or perhaps the environment in which you are unzipping).

> These are 20 minute downloads.

Don't you have a shell account somewhere? Wouldn't it
be faster to transfer the file to that account?

> if you could post the image file separately from the
> rest of it (sort of like putting an island in the middle
> of a busy road so you can cross half of it at once).

If you move the zip to your shell account, you can unzip
it there and download whatever pieces you want.

> These image files don't seem to transfer well or zip well.

You seem to be the only person having this problem.

> dial-in kermit transfer
> DOS ppp
> DOS lynx

You've got some weirdo elements there. One of them could
be the root of your problem.

> I might try next with BL2 floppy on that laptop except it
> is fussy about floppy disks

It's possible that your junk hardware might be the cause of
your unzip problem. Bad RAM for example. DOS can boot and
run with bad RAM, but a large unzip might utilize the bad RAM.

> There does not seem to be a failproof way to distribute
> the floppy-disk BL's - either someone has trouble with
> making boot disks, or your automatic boot disk making
> system for BL2 fails for some of us, or the image does
> not download correctly in the zip file.

You seem to have more problems than everyone else combined.