baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:31:06 +0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> By multiplexer do you mean a 'Y', a gadget that lets you
> plug in two phone cords into one phone outlet?

Yes.

> With the multiplexer, do I run from the modems' 'line' to
> both halves of the Y?

Yes.

> If so, why not just run the line between the two modems
> directly?

It might be different in America, but our modem cables have
a big male plug on one end and a small male plug on the other.
The small male goes in the modem; the big male goes in the
phone jack (or in a multiplexer). In order for the modem
cable to connect two modems directly, it would need a small
male on both ends. I suppose it might be possible to buy a
such a cable, but I already have a multiplexer (which has two
big females and one big male).

> Would this method also work for testing phones without
> dialing out,

You mean for talking on the phones?

> running the two phone cords to a Y, plugging it in to
> get a dial tone, then unplugging it?

I doubt that will get the phones to connect each other for
voice. With modems you have to tell both modems to connect.
It also may be relevant that the modems get their power from
the computer, while the phones get their power from the phone
line.

BTW, in New Zealand there is a phone number you can dial which
rings your phone. If you have such a number available to you,
you might be able to use that to test your phone.