baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 02:00:33 +0000

James Miller wrote:

> Sounds to me like your HD problems could be due to
> erroneous parameters entered for it in the BIOS.

I agree with your diagnosis. Old laptops in particular can
be quite limited in what HD parameters they take.

> You can also use a modem as a sort of network connection
> (direct connection to another machine). I've seen
> descriptions for doing this, and I think Steven has
> described it at some point too,

I had a play with this several years ago and it does
work (although the speed is limited to what your slowest
modem will do). You leave out the DT (dial with tones)
from ATDT.

BL3 currently does something similar, but without the
modems. It runs ppp over a null-modem cable (which is
twice as fast as a 56K modem).