baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:23:32 +0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> PCMCIA modem (14.4 that we got working once in Win 3.1,
> and from elsewhere a possibly working 28.8K) - do you
> need specific drivers for linux PCMCIA or are they
> generic?

Most PCMCIA modems work with the generic serial driver
(which is in BL3). If it doesn't work automatically,
your modem card probably has an usual ID, which cardmgr
doesn't recognize as a modem. You can fix this by
entering the card's ID in /etc/pcmcia/config

> To boot with loadlin, do I use the 2-floppy or the loop
> version of BL3?

The DOS version (loop) boots with loadlin.exe.
The floppy version (ramdisk) boots with lilo.

When you execute install-to-hd, you get a HD version that
boots using the same method as the version you started with.

> I already proved repeatedly that fs.img won't copy
> properly via parallel port (llpro or plip).

I'm sure there is a way to transfer that file via parallel
port. Have you tried zipping it? gzipping it? tarring it?
Have you tried splitting it into smaller chunks?

> Have not tried slip on it.

BL3 no longer provides slattach (for doing slip).
Instead it uses pppd on both ends to establish a network
via a null-modem cable. See /root/netsetup for details.