baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:57:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > By multiplexer do you mean a 'Y', a gadget that lets you
> > plug in two phone cords into one phone outlet?
>
> Yes.
>
> > With the multiplexer, do I run from the modems' 'line' to
> > both halves of the Y?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so, why not just run the line between the two modems
> > directly?
>
> It might be different in America, but our modem cables have
> a big male plug on one end and a small male plug on the other.
> The small male goes in the modem; the big male goes in the
> phone jack (or in a multiplexer). In order for the modem
> cable to connect two modems directly, it would need a small
> male on both ends. I suppose it might be possible to buy a
> such a cable, but I already have a multiplexer (which has two
> big females and one big male).

Our phone cords (the 'modern' variety, modular) have two identical small
male ends about as wide as my little finger. There are four colored wires
in them. The older system had a much larger plug with four prongs that
plugged into the wall, and the other end of the cord was wired into the
phone. Before that both ends were wired and you had one phone per
household rented from the phone company.

I don't know if all four wires are always used. For tone phone you have
to get it wired properly or you cannot dial.

I can't picture your system so we probably never had it.

> > > Would
this method also work for testing phones without > > dialing out,

> You mean for talking on the phones?

yes

> > running the two phone cords to a Y, plugging it in to
> > get a dial tone, then unplugging it?
>
> I doubt that will get the phones to connect each other for
> voice. With modems you have to tell both modems to connect.
> It also may be relevant that the modems get their power from
> the computer, while the phones get their power from the phone
> line.

I guess we would need to get power to the phones somehow.

> BTW, in New Zealand there is a phone number you can dial which
> rings your phone. If you have such a number available to you,
> you might be able to use that to test your phone.

There is supposed to be something similar here. But you can't tell if the
phone sounds right, just if it rings, I think. Where we used to volunteer
selling used electronics, we had to pay for each phone call at the higher
business rate, every time we wanted to test a phone or answering machine
or fax machine. We would take things home to test them instead since
residential phones get unlimited calls. The current volunteer rigged up
some system for testing phones. I think it involved some once-expensive
used equipment.

Sindi