baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-21fd.zip download problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-21fd.zip download problem
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:10:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > First time I unzipped (pkunzip -d)
>
> The -d parameter is not necessary.
>
> > and the .img file was bad - pkzip said something about CRC.
> > Second time I downloaded the file (on a different computer
> > this time, where I had downloaded the DOS version which
> > worked) 'error in ZIP' use pkzipfix.

It appears that the file itself is corrupted somehow, two different ways.

> Once again you are having problems unzipping. You have to
> wonder whether there is something wrong with your unzipper
> (or perhaps the environment in which you are unzipping).
>
> > These are 20 minute downloads.
>
> Don't you have a shell account somewhere? Wouldn't it
> be faster to transfer the file to that account?

I could try unzipping the 2.8MB file at a shell account and then rezipping
just the .img file for transfer via FTP, but that is one more step for
things to go wrong. And the download via FTP is at 2K or less per second,
which is no faster than from your posted version. It also took some time
to download to the shell account in the first place.

First time around I used the other shell account via a 14.4K modem,
downlloaded to the shell account and then via kermit got the whole zip
file, and only the *.img file was corrupted, the rest okay. Second time,
via lynx, the whole zip file had an error.

> > if you could post the image file separately from the
> > rest of it (sort of like putting an island in the middle
> > of a busy road so you can cross half of it at once).
>
> If you move the zip to your shell account, you can unzip
> it there and download whatever pieces you want.
I can give it a try, unzip and rezip that one file.

> > These image files don't seem to transfer well or zip well.
>
> You seem to be the only person having this problem.

Has anyone else tried doing it with DOS? You can't expect all linux
Newbies to be downloading and unzipping with linux. I will keep trying
with DOS for a while. I have not yet tried FTP, just kermit and lynx.
Direct dial or ppp dialer.

> > dial-in kermit transfer
> > DOS ppp
> > DOS lynx
>
> You've got some weirdo elements there. One of them could
> be the root of your problem.

I have had no trouble donwloading BL2 via these routes. Or anything else.
Just BL3 floppy. I could even download BL3-DOS okay (I just did that for
the latest version) and it unzipped fine with no errors. BL3 is the one
that won't transfer fs.img via plip or llpro, just ethernet.

I don't see how DOS kermit epppd or lynx are any more weird than linux.

> > I might try next with BL2 floppy on that laptop except it
> > is fussy about floppy disks
>
> It's possible that your junk hardware might be the cause of
> your unzip problem. Bad RAM for example. DOS can boot and
> run with bad RAM, but a large unzip might utilize the bad RAM.

I tried on two different computers, the latter being the computer I have
been using for several years as my main computer. It had worse problems
than the laptop. Is 2.8MB a 'large' unzip?

I can try linux zip on the file on that computer, with BL3 loop. But
pkunzip worked on the first downloaded file not on this one so I suspect
it is bad.

> > There does not seem to be a failproof way to distribute
> > the floppy-disk BL's - either someone has trouble with
> > making boot disks, or your automatic boot disk making
> > system for BL2 fails for some of us, or the image does
> > not download correctly in the zip file.
>
> You seem to have more problems than everyone else combined.

I recall other people having trouble making BL2 floppy disks, identical to
mine.

I will keep trying to download BL3 FD, maybe this time with BL2 on HD.