baslinux - Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] laptop for linux - formatting problem
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:08:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> >
> > Sounds to me like your HD problems could be due to
> > erroneous parameters entered for it in the BIOS.
>
> I agree with your diagnosis. Old laptops in particular can
> be quite limited in what HD parameters they take.

The BIOS setup won't let you choose parameters but we can look with
Syschk to see if it got correctly identified as to cylinders and tracks.
It gives the right size.

In the meantime I will attempt to use a boot manager to boot a linux boot
CD on that computer. It was the original Toshiba hard drive - why would it
not get it correctly identified? Could the bad sectors near the beginning
of the drive have altered something? A second drive with no bad sectors
also won't work in there.

The first error is file names with characters changed, including directory
names and the volume label of the hard disk. Always the same wrong
characters including ! . It gets progressively worse until the file
structure is no longer recognized and fdisk says there are no partitions.
File structure 'none' or 'unknown'.

> > You can also use a modem as a sort of network connection
> > (direct connection to another machine). I've seen
> > descriptions for doing this, and I think Steven has
> > described it at some point too,
>
> I had a play with this several years ago and it does
> work (although the speed is limited to what your slowest
> modem will do). You leave out the DT (dial with tones)
> from ATDT.

Do you also leave out the phone number? Or phone yourself?