baslinux - Re: Re: [BL] newbie

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Re: [BL] newbie
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:18:52 -0400 (EDT)

I have been running linux in 32MB RAM, including some compiling, with no
swap file. I rarely use X, and when I do, only one X program at once
(Opera or xv or xpdf). I checked memory usage and I am nowhere near 32MB,
in fact 16MB was adequate. (3M with Xvesa was not, things went slow and
then stopped). I think the rule of thumb is based on some assumptions
about how linux will be used.