baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:25:40 -0400 (EDT)

> > Meg eh? Welcome to circa-1984 Will!
>
> Man, I would have loved to have a 10mb HD in 1984. All I had
> was a 180kb floppy drive (which was a recent upgrade from the
> horrible tape drive I was using until then).
Was your 1984 computer acquired used? In 1985 I got a new Zenith with TWO
360K floppy drives and no expansion slots. I had to pay $100 for an
expansion slot into which to put the 10MB hard drive a friend gave me a
few years later. I partitioned it in two and had 5MB for backups, and
never came close to filling it with my text files.

I have partitioned my 2G drive to provide about 100MB for BL3 (which
leaves space for the files needed to compile, since they are only about
15MB instead of the 120MB needed for BL2), and 1G for BL2 and the rest for
whatever I feel like playing with later. I put DOS on a separate smaller
drive. I figure if I really need a swap file I can use the BL3 partition
for that. Someone on the list suggested using Partition Resizer, a free
program to change partition sizes even with files on the partitions (which
Partition Magic cannot do in Linux). The last partition could also be
used for files which are shared between different linuxes (images,
documents, sound files).