baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:24:26 +1200

Will Hatch wrote:

> My hard drive is blank. When I boot the pc it stops after
> the bios runs through.

You have two different options:

DOS option
^^^^^^^^^^
Use a DOS boot floppy to put a bootable DOS partition on the
HD. Make the \baslin directory in that partition and unzip
the DOS version of BL3 into it. Boot BL3 and run fdisk to
create two more (primary) partitions: /dev/hda2 (Linux swap)
and /dev/hda3 (Linux native). I would recommend 64mb for
the swap partition and maybe a gigabyte for the Linux native.
Then format the two Linux partitions:
----------------
mkswap /dev/hda2
mke2fs /dev/hda3
----------------
Then do the following to install BL3 to the HD:
-------------------
mount /dev/hda3 /hd
install-to-hd
-------------------

Floppy option
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Boot BL3 from floppies and run fdisk to create two (primary)
partitions: /dev/hda1 (Linux native) and /dev/hda2 (Linux swap).
I would recommend 64mb for the swap partition and maybe a gigabyte
for the Linux native. Then format the two Linux partitions:
mkswap /dev/hda2
mke2fs /dev/hda1
Then do the following to install BL3 to the HD:
mount /dev/hda1 /hd
install-to-hd