baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:04:14 +1200

Dustin MacDonald wrote:

> The "word processor" I'm assuming is vi,

Actually, by default the wordprocessor runs e3pi (using pico
keybindings). However, if you prefer vi, you can change the
keybindings (e3vi).

> I was always bad with vi

Most newbies have problem with vi. That's why BasicLinux uses
pico keybindings by default.

> I used an MS-DOS bootdisk to remove Windows, and install a bare-bones
> MS-DOS distribution,

If you have the entire HD to play with, I suggest you use DOS fdisk
to make small (bootable) partition for your bare-bones DOS. Leave
the remainder of the HD empty. Then boot Linux and use the Linux
version of fdisk to make a (primary) Linux native partition. If
you have less than 32mb RAM, you should also make a (primary) swap
partition. To make specific size recommendations, I need to know
how much space is on your HD and how much RAM you have.

Once you have a Linux native partition, you can use mke2fs to create
a filesystem on it. Then you simply mount it at /hd and execute
install-to-hd