baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:51:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Would a swap file have prevented the problems I had
> > untarring a 75MB kernel source code file
>
> It's possible, particularly if it was gunzipping at the
> same time (i.e. tar -zx).

It was a bzip 2 file. I ran bzip2 first. Then tar. It also gave me an
error message (3 lines long) while I was deleting the 75MB file. Can I
run tar and bzip2 at the same time?

> > Are you using a Mozilla-based browser?
>
> Yes. Phoenix.
>
> > How much RAM does it take just to load it,
>
> Around 20mb.
That might be why you run out of RAM and need swap space. I think Opera
uses a lot less RAM. I will check some time and report back. Are you
running Xvesa with Phoenix? How much RAM are you using before you
actually access a web page? Opera includes mail.