baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 09:48:19 +1200

Spddmnaz AT aol.com wrote:

> I think if you type q then enter, you'll exit the word processor.

Lots of applications do exit with q but the wordprocessor (e3)
is not one of them. It uses CTRL-X to exit.

> When I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago, the first
> and I think only response was basically the same

The precise commands for partitioning depend on your HD and on
exactly what you want to do with it. Moreover, if you get the
partitioning commands wrong, you risk losing everything on that
HD. The reason BL3 comes on a 15mb filesystem (even though it
is only 5mb in size) is to provide some spare space and thereby
remove the immediate need for newbies to install it to HD.

Before you even think about putting Linux on your HD, you need
to figure out what is currently on that HD and how it is spread
over the HD. If you happen to have a spare partition on that
HD, that makes things *much* easier. If you don't, you need to
use a DOS or Windows utility to open up space for such a partition.