baslinux - Re: [BL] newbie

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] newbie
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:47:56 +1200

Will Hatch wrote:

> The computer is a Dell optiplex Gn+. It has a 10 meg hard drive,

To which Dustin MacDonald replied:

> Meg eh? Welcome to circa-1984 Will!

Man, I would have loved to have a 10mb HD in 1984. All I had
was a 180kb floppy drive (which was a recent upgrade from the
horrible tape drive I was using until then).

> Partition A - 5GB {Linux OS}
> Parition B - 4GB {2nd OS, or home/var/etc dir [your choice]}
> Parition C - 1GB {Swap}

Considering that BL3 is only 5mb in size, a 5gb partition is
overkill. Even 1gb is probably too much. Ditto the swap.
I believe Will has only 32mb RAM, so 64mb RAM for swap would
probably be more appropriate.

Keep in mind that BL3 is designed for old PCs with much smaller
HDs. For example, on my 486 laptop with 120mb HD, the partitions
look like this:
-----------------------------
/dev/hda1 20mb DOS
/dev/hda2 24mb Linux swap (RAM=12mb)
/dev/hda3 76mb Linux native
I can do just about anything I want on that 76mb filesystem
(except compiling, which I do on a more powerful system).

> You might want to use Parition Magic, great piece of software,

If you are trying to steal space from an existing (Windows)
partition, Partition Magic is good; however, for partitioning
an empty HD, fdisk works just fine.