baslinux - Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 18:29:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> On 13 May 2004 at 8:50, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>
> > Sheldon Isaac wrote:
> > > Here's testit, which I did chmod +x to before executing it.
> > > -------------
> > > #!/bin/sh
> > > PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/bin/busybox
> > > insmod slhc
> > > insmod ppp

> > > #------ ETHERNET (using Belkin card)
> > > insmod rtl8139
> > > ## if DHCP server is on network
> > > # dhcp
> > > ## if no DHCP server is on network
> > > ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 up

> > > ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up
> >
> > Normally you should ifconfig lo (localhost) before eth0.

Netsetup had nothing about lo - what is this for and should I be including
this line for ISA cards? I am using two computers and no hub.

> > > It works, but there are error? messages at the bottom of
> > > the result, which I can't recall:
> >
> > If we are to make any sense of this, we need to see the
> > exact messages.
> >
> > > "SNMLBNISS resource busy", or some such

I get some similar looking error message (long string starting in S all
caps) when I forget to type eth0 after ifconfig.

> Please excuse, but what do slhc and ppp do?
>
> I am guessing that ppp has to do with contacting a remote system via
> modem? (We do ppp-on to dial up)

They are needed to dial with eznet to a remote network, but are they also
required for using ethernet in a local network? I have them automatically
installed on startup now in BL2 on hard drive, but not with the ramdisk
BL2 I was trying to use with the ethernet card (ISA) that appeared to work
but would not ping. This may be my problem and if so thanks for bringing
this up. I had only used ethernet before to transfer fs.img on computers
where BL2 was installed to hard drive.

> I recall from years ago, there was different ways of dialup, and "PPP"
> was supposed to be a little better than "SLIP"?
>
> As long as we're at it: what is dhcp? Why and how would one use it?

I think this has something to do with automatically assigning a DNS server
(to provide DNS numbers of things you type in by name). It might connect
a bit quicker if you provide the numbers of the DNS server yourself.
Someone please correct me if wrong.