baslinux - Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:50:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Consider we have two ISA 3c509 cards, one at I/O 0x300
> > and one at I/O 0x320. For ISA cards, edit the conf.modules
> > file and add:
> > alias eth0 3c509
> > alias eth1 3c509
> > options 3c509 io=0x300,0x320
> >
> > I think if I put in this alias then I type insmod eth0
> > without the address, right?
>
> No. insmod does not look in /etc/conf.modules

So what is the above all about? Elsewhere I read modules.conf not
conf.modules.

> > Or I type insmode 3c509 io-0x300
>
> That should be: insmod 3c509 io=0x300

Thanks for the correction, but it turns out I also need to add irq=10

> > (or 0x320 - would that also work?).
>
> It will only work if 0x320 is the actual address of the card.
> In your example, the address of the first card is 0x300 and
> the address of the second card in 0x320. What the actual
> address of your card is, I do not know. However, it is
> probably not an issue. A simple "insmod 3c509" will probably
> auto-detect the address. AFAIK only a ne2000 ISA card requires
> an address in the insmod.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven

winbond w89c906 is an ne2000 ISA card and I am trying to make it work by
typing in the address, which I finally confirmed is 0x300 using a
diagnostic utility downloaded from driverguide (906setup.exe). But it
would not do anything useful until I also gave it the irq.

Do you mean other ISA cards than ne2000 don't need the address?
Is ne2000 a standard, like VESA? My other ISA card also uses it (3com).
Two PCI cards use ne2k-pci, another standard? If so, why did the 100Mbit
cards switch to something nonstandard so as to make all this work for us?