baslinux - Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:25:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 9 May 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> >
> > Any ISA NIC with jumpers that is supported under Linux should
> > work fine for you. Most I've had to specify to insmod is IRQ
> > - base address has not been needed.
>
> ISA NE2000 NICs need the io address (but not the IRQ).
> ------------------
> insmod 8390
> insmod ne io=0x300
> ------------------

I got four PCI ethernet cards working now including two with ne2k-pci.
This last one is plain ne and is also ISA. Are all ne ISA cards
io=0x300? Is there some way to determine the address? A winbond chip.

I tried using net.i kernel but it got stuck at com90xx.c this time. (With
the 4 pci cards it booted into linux).

> None of my other NICs need io addresses (nor IRQs)
> insmod 8390 insmod 8390 insmod eepro100 insmod rtl8139
> insmod wd insmod ne2k-pci --------------- --------------

Does this mean that some ethernet cards do NOT need 8390 first? I have
been doing 8390 before tulip, is that needed?