baslinux - Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 23:48:07 -0400 (EDT)

For an amusing description of how to get ethernet cards to work in DOS
take a look at http://home.pacifier.com/~mcginty/enet.htm

First he tells you how to make a DOS boot disk from a Windows computer.
Eventually he describes a lot of the mistakes he made putting lines in
autoexec.bat and config.sys. And says to remove all but your video card
or the sound card might conflict but it is okay if you are not using them
at the same time. For some reason he is trying to get DOOM to work on a
network of four computers. I suppose he also wants sound for that.

This was back around 1991, I think, and the cards seem a bit simpler to
use now. He was talking about how to set jumpers for BNC cables that are
or are not terminated. My cards have no jumpers, his had lots of them.
Some had a choice of hardware settings via jumper or software settings.

If this is typical, I wonder how ANYONE ever managed to network DOS.

If you go to his HOME page there is a link to where he discusses how to
set up Debian minimally on a 486 with 8M RAM, in 1998, which might be of
some relevance to basiclinux.

Brian McGinty sells microcontrollers in Oregon. He had more sense than to
post his email address so I can't pester him cheaply for help, but he did
give his snail mail address and phone number for some reason (in another
section where he discusses the difficulty of buying just one component).
The whole site makes for amusing reading but I probably missed half the
jokes.

Most of the other hits I got for ethernet and DOS are in Spanish.