baslinux - Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:18:44 -0400 (EDT)

> > > No. insmod does not look in /etc/conf.modules
> >
> > So what is the above all about? Elsewhere I read modules.conf not
> > conf.modules.
>
> Steven made a typo, I think (transposing modules and conf): modules.conf
> is correct. But I think he's saying there is no such file in BL. Other,

Steven is not the one who wrote conf.modules in the above extract from a
web page that explained how to use two ethernet cards in one machine.
Someone else posted here about conf.modules one time. It seems to be a
common mistake, if modules.conf is the correct version. I did not find a
file of either name in BL2, or try to use this method. I don't plan to
leave ISA cards in my machines because I don't have free slots, so it is
just as easy to type insmod tulip as insmod eth0 (using an alias).

> more full blown distros (Slack, Debian) have such a file, but BL does not.
> I think I've read you can pass those additional NIC parameters to the
> kernel at boot if you're using lilo - not sure about loadlin. Maybe
> there's a way to specify them in a BL startup script as well?

Is it possible instead to just write and use a script to load the modules
with the correct address and irq? I tried this with plip and could not
get the script to work, though typing the five lines manually worked.