baslinux - [BL] ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] ethernet
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 22:04:44 -0400 (EDT)

I just read about ethernet, which has replaced token ring and ARCNET.

10base2 - 10 Mb/sec to a max of about 200 meters (185 meters)
10base 5- to 500 meters
10baseT - 10 Mb/sec on twisted wire (no lenght limit given)

Steven transferred 2.5MByte or 20 Mbit (right?) in 4 seconds, which is 5
Mb/s I think, or half as fast as a 10base card is rated at. Maybe this
was a 2 sec overhead to get things started and larger files would have
gone about twice as fast.

It looks like the round (BNC, coax) is just as fast as the square (RJ45,
twisted pair) type of 10base connector, but the square one also comes in
faster models. And both round and square can be found on ISA and PCI
cards, sometimes in combination, but the ISA cards only went to 10base not
100base.

We have seen them separately and together on both ISA and PCI cards but
I did not keep records of the exact combinations.

It seems like anything would work so long as I have the correct cable,
and both ends should have the same connector. Even the 10base2 would be
sufficient to run a connection to the next block (120 meters).
We have no way to get the cable under the street surface and the nasty
neighbor across the street cut our phone wire when we went between blocks
above ground in someone else's yard than hers.