baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:44:14 +1100

Hi Steven,

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:11:39 +1300
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > First thing I did was change that awful wallpaper - yuech !!!
>
> Which wallpaper would you prefer? I choose Morocco
> because it has a very small footprint.

I have settled on denim.

> My first priority is getting the bugs out. Hopefully 3.01
> will be out within 12 hours. Then I need to get the new
> homepage done. After that, I will be looking at add-ons.

Understood. And I appreciate that it has taken a lot of thought and
hard
work to get to this stage.

> > like mc and zgv
>
> zgv? Is it better than the built-in image viewer?

zgv has a file-finder front-end (with thumbnails) that is user friendly.
As a "helper" application, say, for a browser (links) or a file manager
(emelfm),
xli may be a better choice.

> > There doesn't seem to be any installpkg or pkgtool,
>
> pkg

Aha !

> > so presumably we have to get stuff from SW3.5
>
> Most Slackware 3.x stuff should work. But Slackware 4.0
> is the best fit (libc5 with 2.2 kernel).

Is it now ? :)

I have just downloaded mc and zgv+library from the BL1 website, and I
will see if they
install happily in BL3.

> I'll probably be looking to do a Netscape 3.04 package first.

Probably a good choice.

Regards,
Ron

--