baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:13:53 +1300

Ron Clarke wrote:

> It boots up to the CLI without a hitch.
> Unfortunately, startx does not go so well. :(

Did you get the Xsetup prompts for selecting resolution
and mouse? Which resolution did you pick?

> I get the following:
>> X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> <about 15 or 20 times, then:>

Probably the usual Xvesa clash.

> I run MSDOS 6.20, on an AMD K6 400 MHz with 64 MB RAM and
> a Diamond Stealth (S3) 2 MB video card.

If you have a DOS floppy from a different version of DOS
(you can download one from bootdisk.com), try booting that.

> FWIW: I could never get xvesa to boot, from any drive, with
> or without autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Definitely no autoexec.bat and config.sys (till we figure out
the problem). It would also be worthwhile to glance through
your CMOS setup to see if there are settings that might upset
Xvesa: RAM hole, virus sentry, video settings, whatever.

Xvesa is a pretty rough hack and it simply falls over when
things aren't the way it expects. If it weren't so damn
useful, I would have ditched it long ago.

> Am I supposed to set up a network first ?

No. Just try to eliminate anything that could be tripping
up Xvesa. I have a bad feeling about that Diamond Stealth
card, but don't know anything definite.