baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:07:20 +1100

Hi Steven,

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:13:53 +1300
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > It boots up to the CLI without a hitch.
> > Unfortunately, startx does not go so well. :(
>
> Did you get the Xsetup prompts for selecting resolution
> and mouse? Which resolution did you pick?

Each of them in turn.

> > I get the following:
> >> X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > <about 15 or 20 times, then:>
>
> Probably the usual Xvesa clash.

I think you are right.

> > I run MSDOS 6.20, on an AMD K6 400 MHz with 64 MB RAM and
> > a Diamond Stealth (S3) 2 MB video card.
>
> If you have a DOS floppy from a different version of DOS
> (you can download one from bootdisk.com), try booting that.

I just made a boot floppy without autoexec.bat or config.sys and booted
from that (I have to sneak it in after the disk manager has loaded).

> Definitely no autoexec.bat and config.sys (till we figure out
> the problem).

That WAS the problem.

> I have a bad feeling about that Diamond Stealth
> card, but don't know anything definite.

Nope, the card is OK.

It was the conflict with something in the autoexec.bat or config.sys.

I was able to boot BL3, startx and all that good stuff when booted from
a bare DOS. First thing I did was change that awful wallpaper - yuech !!!

OK, its up and running. Now how do I add the fun stuff, like mc and zgv
and so on ? There doesn't seem to be any installpkg or pkgtool, so presumably
we have to get stuff from SW3.5 (or get statically compiled stuff from
DeliLinux ?),
and manually "gunzip" and then distribute the bits. Or something else ?

Looks good, but !

And 15 MB should be enough room for some interesting add-ons.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke