baslinux - Re: [BL] plip problems

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] plip problems
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 12:56:01 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > tried to send from C to B with plip:
> > nc: Connect: connection refused
>
> Does ping work?

We made a 2-floppy set and booted both computers with that, just in case
the software is somehow changing after first use (tho how I could change
in the ramdisk version would be a mystery).
Does ping work?

Yes, in both directions:
ping 198.162.1.2 from the sending computer
64 bytes from 198.162.1.2 ....... (numerous times - I hit Ctl-C)
ping 198.162.1.1 from the receiving computer
64 bytes....

I also tried reversing the sending and receiving computers (typed the
ifconfig line with numbers reversed). nc : connect : Connection refused.
File sent. (it was not sent)

I have now had plip working between several pairs of computers and it has
stopped working between at least 2 pairs of them. What stupid thing might
I be doing wrong?

I type all the lines to insmod and echo 7, and the ifconfig line, directly
from my notes, the same way each time, I think. pointopoint with only 2
t's. I get to the point where it asks for host name, and I try to send,
and get nc:

> > Is there some configuration file associated with plip which
> > does not like it if you change from one pair of computers
> > to another?
>
> No.
> Steven

What are plip.h and module.h, both of which refer to configuration?
module.h is in /plip. They have one line each starting with #.

LLpro works fine every time over the same cable plugged into the same
place. I think I did this all the same way every time and it worked the
first time and never again with plip file transfer.

What other file transfer method could I try via parallel cable, other than
waiting for BL3? I might try Kermit via serial cable but it is slower.
LLpro requires shortening the file names to fit into DOS and is a
nuisance.

We are ready (once we get X under control) to put linux on a few other
computers but it would be a lot easier without llpro or serial cable. Jim
would like these 5 computers out of the living room soon. (The CTX
monitor capable of 800 resolution for which he needs to find or make a
male-male cable does not count as clutter for some reason. It followed
him home one night from the curb, hand-carried for 20 minutes.)

All suggestions for parallel cable file transfer with linux appreciated.

Sindi Keesan