baslinux - Re: +[SurvPC] Re: [BL] Communications program

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: +[SurvPC] Re: [BL] Communications program
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 19:13:07 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Is there room in BL3 for links-ssl?
>
> There is certainly room for the executable (which is about
> the same size the the links I am using). However links-ssl
> is compressed. When executed, it auto-expands into a much
> larger RAM footprint. Since BL3 is targetted at old PCs, I
> am trying to keep the demand on resources as low as possible
> (particularly for the non-X stuff).

How do I figure out what it expands to? The uncompressed links 0.93 is
488K and the compressed links-ssl is about 400K. It works just fine in
/tmp 4M RAMdisk.

We tested it at three secure sites already - one bbs and two webmail
sites. It is easier to use than lynx for writing mail because the lines
wrap automatically rather than going off the right edge and scrolling by.

If you can find some way to fit it into BL2 or BL3 RAMdisk it would be
most helpful. Perhaps you can recompile it to leave out support for
other languages and character sets and make it smaller that way. I recall
lynx without NLS was about half the size as with it.

I have copied eznet.conf and resolv.conf to the BL2 directory on my hard
drive and will copy them over manually back to the RAMdisk every time
unless you can tell me some way to have that happen while booting. (Add
something to boot.bat?).

I had to chmod +x links-ssl before using it.