baslinux - Re: [BL] miniX

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] miniX
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 00:47:48 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > But I am trying to get BL2 (hard drive installation) to
> > work with Opera and minimal files and Xvesa. Do I just
> > see what you included for BL3 and install the equivalents
> > for BL2?
>
> Opera is not a minimal binary. It requires lots of additional
> bits & pieces. Libraries for starters, and it probably needs
> a complete set of fonts. It may also be using some of the files
> in /var/X11R6/lib. None of those things are in BL3.

Opera ran fine with only the fonts in Xvesa. They were scrawny and harder
to read, but usable. I installed the cxxlibs and glic-so from SW81.
It is supposed to be static so ldd did not show any dependencies.
How do we find out if any other files are needed? At some point it wanted
libpthread - that might be in what I installed (cxx or glibc).

icewm needed xpm.tgz or part of it - which part?

I will wait and see what you thought is minimal.

I don't plan to run Opera in BL3, I just want to know what it uses to run
Xvesa so I can install hat in BL2 instead of a bunch of big packages.

> I don't understand why you are bothering to minimize X to run
> Opera. Just install the required X packages and be done with
> it. The size difference will only be a few megabytes.

I prefer not to install a 2M package from which I need only one file.
I already ran out of space on one linux computer (I compiled a lot).
And I don't like to have things on my computer that I don't use or know
the meaning of. I am doing linux at least as much to learn how it works
as to have another way to get online.

> > > When the BL3 foundation is finished, I will be working
> > > on add-ons for BL3.
> >
> > What sorts of add-ons?
>
> I'll probably be doing the following:
> (1) customized kernel optimized for 486dx
> (2) customized kernel optimized for low-end Pentium
Can we also use these kernels with BL2? What does it mean when something
is optimized for a low-end Pentium? Does it run faster than a kernel that
also works on older cpus?

> (3) pre-configured browser/mailer (Netscape 3.04 ?)
> (4) pre-configured wordprocessor (abiword? flwriter?)
Have you looked recently at flwriter? He was working on fixing a bug or
two.

> (5) additional libraries
>
> Plus the various static binaries that (hopefully) will
> work with BL3: ssh, links-ssl, xfreecell, etc.
Also the static sftp?

Please try lynx-static-ssl when you have time. Maybe it will work for
you. I just posted a corrected version which I hope James copied. (The
last one put things in the wrong place, becaues I ran makepkg from the
wrong directory). www.iamjlamb.com/~keesan/lynx-285-ssl-static.tgz
I think it should fit into a 4M /tmp ramdisk. lynx.cfg could be trimmed
quite a bit (remove all the instructions).